Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bilingual Kids & Hereditary Traits

Remember the posting about Tank counting in Spanish? Remember how I commented that I hoped he didn't start using words that I didn't know? Well it's started. He was standing in front of the refrigerator shouting "aperire!" Apparently that means "open" in Spanish. I had to watch Diego to officially learn that this morning. As if it's not hard enough to translate what a 3 year old is trying to say in English. Now it's in Spanish. I'm going to have to get a Spanish Dictionary to be able to communicate with my kid.

On another note, since it was so nice out today, we spent the afternoon outdoors. Tank was riding his over powered Power Wheels (see 11/8/09 post) while Daddy & I built some shelves in the shop. I noticed that he stopped riding, got his wagon, and headed over towards the scrap pile. I figured it was picking up sticks in his wagon and taking them to the pile like we did last weekend. But...I was wrong. It wasn't much longer when he returned with his find. Last fall, one of his tricycles broke and ultimately ended up in the scrap pile. Apparently he didn't know its location until today. So when he spotted it, he was determined to retrieve it. He dug it out himself and put it in his wagon, along with the broken axle that had fallen off. He pulled it back over to the shop and said "Mommy fix it!" Now, I can fix a lot of things. But there was a reason that tricycle met its doom.

So after today, my fears have been confirmed. He definitely has the genes in him that prevent him from letting things go. And I have the fear now that he may be following in his grandpa's foot steps and have a hard time getting rid of things that may have potential. Now I'll be the first to admit that the apple didn't fall far from the tree and I have my own problems too. But...let's remember who put that tricycle to rest in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment